Lady Hornets crush Pointers

Sometimes you can’t buy a goal; other times they fall out of the sky.

Goals fell out of the sky as the Bryant Lady Hornets, led by Tarra Hendricks’ hat trick, easily defeated the Van Buren Lady Pointers 7-0 in conference soccer action Thursday at Hornet Stadium.

“I’m never going to complain about a shutout,” head coach Julie Long said. “Our defense always does a good job. Lindsay Brazil always does a good job on defense.”

Long said, “The girls came out and played with some intensity. At times they were down, but for the most part I was proud of their intensity. Earlier in the week, against Mount (Saint Mary) we only took three shots, and one of our goals tonight was to take more shots. I think we wound up taking 18 shots in the first half.”

In earlier action, the Bryant boys won 3-2, and the junior varsity boys also won 6-1.

For the Lady Hornets, Kaitlyn Gaiser scored the first goal and effectively won the game on a 16-yard shot with her left foot with 34:02 left in the first half. 

“At this point, I think she is our leading scorer for the season,” Long said. “She has been doing some nice things this season.”

Hendricks, a senior, had three goals with two coming in the first half at the 29:25 and 23:02 marks to push the Lady Hornets to a 2-1 record in conference play. Hendricks’ first score came on a free kick that was soft liner.  

“She had two really, really nice goals,” Lond said. “She’s one of the best at taking free kicks. When you have a free kick within 20 yards, it’s a threat and most teams know that.”

Rori Whittaker scored on a header after a corner kick by Hendricks at the 24:09 mark to make the score 3-0. Less than two minutes later, Hendricks made it 4-0 with a 22-yard smash at the 23:02 mark that went to the left of the goalie.

Hendricks’ last goal came early in the second half on a 15-yard diagonal shot across the field for a 5-0 score with 37:24 left in the game.

Senior Erica Selig scored with 34:23 left to make it 6-0 and the “sportsman” clock was turned on, resulting in cutting the remaining time in half and taking seventeen minutes off the clock. At this point, Long put in the underclassmen to finish the game.

Freshman Jacie McMahan finished the scoring on a header after Kara Taylor threw in the ball from the sideline to Victoria Rose, who crossed it over to McMahan for the goal with 4:13 left in the game.

Goalie Kaitlyn Miller was replaced for the first time this year by sophomore Kristin Cartwright with 6:12 left to give the sophomore some experience. Miller came in for a short time on offense and made a long shot that nearly went in the goal.  

“Technically, (Miller) is one of the best players on the team,” Long said. “She’s always going to do a good job, no matter where she is. 
“Overall, the girls played hard. It was a good win after the Mount game. We needed a win to bounce us back from that. We have games next week against Russelllville and Conway, and both of those games will be a battle. I’m just trying to get the girls to play in a consistent level.”

Katie Moore, McKenzie Adams and Madison Land took shots that nearly went in the goal. Kara Taylor, Taylor Matthews, Addie Chaloupka, Callie Schalk and Ashlen Baughtman all saw playing time in the lopsided win.